The mission of the Sophia M. Sachs Butterfly House and its governing organization is to foster a greater understanding of plant and animal relationships in the environment in order to promote the conservation and restoration of natural habitats.
Children's outreach programs
Our 60 minute outreach programs are designed to meet the specific needs of your groups and can be tailored for students of all ages. One hour programs are $100.00 for the first program and $40 for each additional program scheduled for the same day. A maximum of four one-hour programs can be scheduled on each day. Topics include:
- Story of a Butterfly grades PK-1: Watch a butterfly grow from an egg. Then puzzle together a butterfly and finish with a caterpillar craft.
- Ladybugs grades PK-1: Children learn about ladybug structure, life cycle, behavior and foods. Discover how these fascinating insects help us and protect our crops.
- Ant Homes Under the Ground grades PK-1: Introduce young children to ant behavior using role-play, cooperative exercises and close obervation of live ants.
- Hide a Butterfly grades PK-1: Learn to identify parts of a flower, create a nature-scene mural and learn about camouflage of butterflies.
- Buzzing a Hive grades 1-3: Explore the complex social behavior, communication and hive environment of the honeybee. (Live bees are not a part of this unit.)
- Anansi: The Original Spider Man grades K-5: Explore spider behaviors and adaptations through the tales of Anansi, an African legend. These tales lead to learning about real spiders.
- The World According to Insects grades K-6: Learn how insects are unique, from the tip of their antennae to the scales on their wings.
- Butterfly Biology grades K-6: Metamorphosis, anatomy, and butterfly behaviors are discussed with hands-on demonstrations.
- A-MAZE-ing Cockroaches grades k-6: Can cockroaches learn or will they stay lost? Replicate a famous study by one African-American, Charles Henry Turner.
- What the World Eats grades 8-adults: Explore actual insect foods from around the world through artifacts, pictures and PowerPoint. A cooking demonstration of actual crickets can be included for an additional $25.
Science nights - All the Better to be Here With: Use different tools and toys to understand the adaptations insects have for existing in the world.
Information Outreach Tables:
General Information : Amaze and delight your guests through hands-on experiences with millipedes and cockroaches, as we provide information about The Butterfly House and its offerings.
- Butterfly Gardening: We will discuss how gardens can attract these beautiful animals, utilizing both host and nectar sources.
- Butterflies - Getting to Know You: We present a slide show to introduce some of the typical inhabitants of our Tropical Conservatory and native species of the Midwest.
- Butterfly House - A Brief History: Hear about the Sophia M. Sachs Butterfly House from conception to what the future holds.
Professional development workshops:
Professional development is available for preschool or elementary teachers. Different rates apply. Call the Education Programs Manager at (636) 530-0076, ext. 13 for more information.
Fees for all outreach programs are based on facilities within 20 miles of the Butterfly House. For facilities outside this distance, an additional $1.00 will be charged for each additional mile (each way).
If more than one program is offered on the same day, a minimum 10-minute break is required between programs. If a Butterfly House instructor is teaching at your facility for more than three (3) hours total, a half-hour lunch break must be scheduled between programs.
Student participation is limited to 35 per program. Teachers/staff are required to stay in the room during the presentation.
Custom outreach programs:
Custom Programs are available upon request. These programs may include information and activity tables for science fairs or classroom presentations covering specific topics that fit your curriculum. Pricing may vary.
To schedule an outreach program:
Prior to calling, please check your school calendar and be aware of special programs, testing days, holidays and fire/tornado drills that may conflict with scheduling an Outreach program.
Classes are offered Monday through Friday. Special arrangements can be made if other days are preferred.
Call the Education Programs Manager at (636) 530-0076, extension 13 at least two (2) weeks in advance of your desired reservation date.
After you make a reservation, you will receive a confirmation letter in the mail. Please read and return a copy to the Education Programs Manager with proper payment as noted on the confirmation letter no later than one (1) week prior to the scheduled program date.
Payment must be received before the scheduled program date.